Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Figured It's Time

I figured it's time for me to show you a picture of my work. This is a design I've been playing around with in my head for a little while. I'm thinking of making more of it and selling it to folks at some point in time. The reason I'm standing behind it is because I didn't put in the grommets yet, but I wanted to see how it looked.

This is Kelsey. I wound up taking it apart because I didn't like how the top looked, and because I wanted to experiment with the look a little more. I'm actually quite proud of it :D

The pattern I used is one I drafted myself based on one of the corsets in the Corsets and Crinolines book. If you want to learn how to do that I highly recommend reading the Corset Making Revolution link from my previous post "The Book Every Budding Corsetier Should Read."

The fashion fabric is fabric that I had from a previous project. I don't quite remember what type of fabric it was...I think polyester. I used black coutil as the layer that holds the bones (I'm not entirely sure what to call it, I guess I'll call it the strengthening layer). The chain is regular chain that I picked up from Michael's (you can go to any hobby store or jewelry making store for something like that). I used a combination of steel and spring steel bones, and the corset has 14 bones in it. In my later corsets I increased the number of bones to 19, just to make sure that the front was flat and well structured.

That's all for today! If you have any questions about construction, comments about the design, or want me to post about something in particular please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment